Rail anchor is applied to prevent longitudinal movement of the steel rails caused by temperature variation or vibration. It is a spring steel clip that attach to the underside of rail tie plates, with the other side against the rail sleepers. It is manufactured with one-piece spring steel.
Rail anchor can be installed on the rail base directly so as to form a strong support against the rail base and rail tie. In this way, it prevent abrasion and cutting and prolong the service life of rail ties.
Rail anchors are designed based on the weight of rail and base. Generally, there are 2 types: the drive-on rail anchor and spring type rail anchor.
Design features of rail anchors
Rail anchors are welded on the rail support surface to prevent the rails from moving lengthwise. As they are positioned away from the rail edge, they have no impact on the lateral adjustment of rail. The steel rail welding requires low hydrogen electrodes and proper level of preheat, which depends on the carbon content and equivalent of the rail steel.
The welding of rail anchor requires no damage to the rail tie plate below. Therefore, the rail temperature must be kept under 150˚C during rail anchor installation. Usually, they are welded on the rail supports, with 50 to 100mm from the end of the rail. Rail anchors are superior solution than fixed point to prevent rails from moving. It is installed at the end of the rail.
How to install rail anchor
- The track anchor shall be located on the measuring surface of the guide rail base against the same engaging surface on the opposite rail.
- The track anchor must securely secure the rail base and have complete support for the rail joint.
- When the railway anchor on the tie in the bearing by the interference, will need a new railway anchor and rail.
- The rail anchors can not be moved by driving them along the rails.
- When the anchor is applied, the rail tie should be straightened.
Where are rail anchors used?
- The railway anchor is used in some parts of the railway. Take a 39-foot track for example, it requires evaluation of 8 rail anchors, as shown in the following figure. With the increase of slope, it needs more amount of rail anchors.
- The rail anchoring device is applied in the track near the open deck bridge, one third of the joints are intended to be fixed at the ends of the bridge for at least 2 rail length.
- As a railroad track with an anchor, each third strip should be box anchored, with at least two rail lengths from the intersection to all directions.
- Rail anchors can be used for railway turnouts. It is helpful to correct geometric problems when using anchors in turnouts.
Types of rail anchors
The rail anchor is made of spring steel or equivalent material in an all-in-one structure, heat treated and specially designed to effectively prevent track creepage. The rail anchor can provide a large bearing surface against the rail base and pad, avoiding cutting and wear, thus extending the life of the wooden link.
Rail anchors are always used for rails such as 50kg, 85kg, UIC54, UIC60, 90 / 91lb, 115RE, 136RE. We can produce T-type or V-rail anchors and other types by forging or casting according to the customer's requirements.
|Type||Used in 50Kg, 85Kg,90/91LB, 115RE /136RE ,UIC54 & UIC60 rail, or other types upon customers’ drawings.|
C:0.56-0.64, Mn:0.60-0.90, Si:1.60-2.00,
Cr:≤0.35, P:≤0.03, S:≤0.03
C:0.42-0.50, Mn:0.50-0.80, Si:0.17-0.37,
Cr:≤0.25, P:≤0.035, S:≤0.035
C:3.60-3.80, Mn:≤0.6, Si:2.50-2.90,
|Surface||plain (oiled),color painting, zinc painted or HDG|
|Standard||AS1085.10-20002 , DIN, ISO-9001|
According to our previous production experience, the main material of the production track anchor is 60Si2MnA, usually used for 50kg, 70lb, 80lb, 90 / 91lb and other tracks.
Rail anchor for Russian market: high-grade ductile iron castings. Russian rail anchors are usually made of QT400-15 material. All mechanical properties are strictly in accordance with the TOCT 7293-85 standard.
Features of Rail anchors
- Rail anchor is in strict accordance with the quality standards, approved by AGICO Quality Assurance Guarantee, which has the following characteristics:
- With consistent style and good track adaptability
- The ISO9001 approved rail anchors have a high longitudinal retention force.
- Fast, simple and safe to use
- Can be used for drive or spring design.
- Can be used for a variety of different types and conditions of the track
Application rules of rail anchors
- In order to against the same tie face on opposite rails the rail anchors should be on the gage side of the rail base.
- Rail anchors have to hold the rail base firmly and tightly and have full bearing against rail tie face.
- When the bearing of rail anchor against the tie has been disturbed a new rail anchor and a rail tie will be needed.
- Rail anchors should not be moved by driving them along the rail.
- When the rail anchors are applied the rail ties should be kept straightened.
- Rail anchors vary in shapes, such as Improved Fair, Unit V or Channeled, with processing way of rolling, forging or casting. The latter two types are usually produced by casting, due to its complicated bending.
- We produce different types of rail anchors to compromise different rail sections including 85LB, 90LB, 115RE, 132REm UIC54, UIC60, 50kg, etc.