Rail switch, also known as railway turnout, is a mechanical structure that guides a train from one rail line to another, usually used at railway junction. The rail turnout function as a switch or frog to transfer the rolling stock from one track to another.
Classifications of Rail switch
Our rail switch products covers simple switch, lateral switch, left hand switch, right hand switch, bilateral switch, symmetrical switch, double curve switch, three throw switch, three way switch, and two sides double switch. Also, customized rail switches are available according to customers’ drawing or design.
Rail switch can be classified into mining turnout switch, rail turnout switch, whose gauge is 1067mm and 1435mm. They are applicable to rails of 8kg/m, 12kg/m, 15kg/m, 18kg/m, 22kg/m, 24kg/m, 30kg/m, 38kg/m, 43kg/m, 50kg/m, 60kg/m etc. According to the series of rail switch, there are 2#, 3#, 4#, 5#, 6#, 7#, 8#, 9#, 12# and other types. As for non-standard switches, ferry special switch and high manganese steel frog are available.
As a experienced rail turnout manufacture, we can meet your demand of rail switch for various purpose, like mainline, industrial track, light track for mining or tunnel. In terms of industrial railroads, they usually bears lighter loads at slower speed than main railway line, so the rail switches are installed with light materials. Mining and tunnel turnout can be pre-assembled or mounted on steel ties, or delivered apart for assembly on site.
Structure of rail switch
- Rail switch consists of a pair of linked tapering rails, which is also called switch rail and point blades. They can move to guide the train straight forward or to the diverging track.
- Stock rails runs along the switch rails, and lays against the switch rail in closed position. Alternatively, they are ordinary rails designed to suit the turnout switch and the individual switch point rails.
- Frog refers to the crossing point of two rails, where one rail intersect with another. In this regard, railway frog is also known as railway crossing.
- Closure rails are a straight and curved rail that converges together, it is located between the heel of switch and the toe of frog.
- Guard rail / check rail is a short section of rail placed along the stock rail and opposite to the frog. It serves to guarantee the train follow the right flange way and protect it from derail.